By Alma Abreu
There is a popular saying now amongst online marketers which is “the money is in the list”.
Why should you spend time building an email list? Well, you can’t afford not to.
Email marketing is the top revenue producing engine of most online businesses whether they are SAAS companies, eCommerce sites, B2B companies or anything else.
Email provides your business the most direct line of communication with potential customers for conversions to sales, which is why most successful business owners make building an email list their top priority.
If you lost everything, your office, your website, your social media accounts, you could still run and even start a new business with just your email list.
There are plenty of statistics that prove why having an email list is so important to your business. Consider these facts:
- Email marketing has an ROI of 4,300%. (Direct Marketing Association)
- Companies using email to nurture leads generate 50% more sales-ready leads and at 33% lower cost. And nurtured leads, on average, produce a 20% increase in sales opportunities compared to non-nurtured leads. (Hubspot)
- Marketers consistently rank email as the single most effective tactic for awareness, acquisition, conversion and retention. (Gigaom Research)
- Email conversion rates are three times higher than social media, with a 17% higher value in the conversion. (McKinsey & Company)
- Email is nearly 40 times better than Facebook and Twitter at acquiring customers. (McKinsey & Company)
- 70% of people say they always open emails from their favorite companies. (ExactTarget)
- 91% of consumers check their email at least once per day on their smartphone, making it the most used functionality. (ExactTarget)
You can’t control your search engine rankings or even your social media sites as much as you can control your email list.
Anytime that Facebook or Twitter decides to change their algorithm and reduce how many views your posts receive, you are at their mercy when it comes to being able to reach users with your updates.
With email, people sign up to receive your updates, so when you send out an email, they will be able to view it.
Here are a few more reasons why you should invest in building your email list.
Email is More Personal
Your email list is the only thing that will allow you to directly and personally communicate with your readers on an ongoing basis. While social media has its benefits, email still trumps social media. Why? Because email is more personal.
Email Subscribers Will Buy from You
The number one reason to build an email list is because it will eventually lead to more purchases. Think about it, if someone volunteers to give you their email address, they are already interested in learning more about your company and what you have to offer.
A person’s email address is very personal. If they allow you to send them emails, it’s like they are inviting you to their personal home.
People usually hate receiving useless spam email in their inbox, but for whatever reason, they thought you were good enough and trustworthy enough to allow you into their inbox.
For this reason, it is really important to take very good care of your email list subscribers. They will be your most loyal readers and part of your “tribe”.
Email is Private
With social media, anything someone wants to ask you is shared publicly. With email, someone can ask you a question directly in private with confidence. You will be surprised how many people do not want to ask questions in a public forum like a Facebook comment section.
Email allows people to build a one on one relationship with you. Gradually, this helps them develop trust in your brand and eventually spread the word about you.
Email is Targeted
People who sign up for your email list have already shown interest in your products or services. They have already provided consent to learn more by receiving your newsletter. They are also much more likely to click, purchase from you and tell their family and friends about your products.
Since you already have an idea of what their interests are, you can deliver highly relevant and targeted content as well as new offers. If you have an event to promote, a new product launch or a coupon to offer, email allows you to communicate these types of messages.
How Do You Build and Email List?
Building an email list is worth the investment in your time and money. Here is how you can get started in building your list:
- Choose an Email Marketing Provider. We recommend Mail Chimp, Aweber or Constant Contact. These services allow you to collect email addresses on your website or blog with their signup form templates. They have embedded code that you can copy and paste directly into your blog.
- Offer Incentives or Lead Magnets. To increase your email signup rates, you need to offer visitors to your website a good reason to want to join your email list. You can offer them an instant incentive such as free e-book, coupon, whitepaper, “how to” guide on a topic you think would be beneficial or help them solve a problem.
It doesn’t matter what type of business you have, if you have a website and you want people to keep coming back, you need to get them to sign up to your email list.
Need Help With Lead Magnets?
When it comes to creating lead magnets, the team at 360 Content Pro specializes in just that. We create compelling e-books, guides, whitepapers and checklists that will attract new email subscribers to your list. From content writing to graphic design, we develop content that will drive sales. Ask us how we can help your business grow.
About the Author:
Alma Abreu is the lead content strategist at 360 Content Pro. She helps business owners create content that converts leads into sales.